Dear members of ARLIS-L,

We recently made a disturbing discovery of interest to the group; "Absolut
Ad Collectors" are visiting libraries and systematically slicing Absolut
vodka ads out of periodicals to add to their personal collections.  A
collector visited our library recently and we (fortunately) caught him with
over 60 Absolut Ads he had sliced from periodicals (mostly from our
library).  Among these ads was information about the Absolut Ad Collectors'
Mailing List (AACML), a group which publishes a weekly newsletter and
trading notices (these ads are traded and *sold* among collectors).  We
also found reference to a list of Absolut Ads and the periodicals which
contain them (see below).

Please be advised that this is a nationwide group and art libraries are a
prime target since many of these ads are in art periodicals, and many
"collectors" are college students.  It has been suggested that putting
"Tattle Tape" on the ads may protect them; "X-ing out" the ads (making them
worthless to "collectors"), is another strategy.

For more information please see:

*** Absolut Vodka Collectors Groups

1.  The Absolut Connection
http://members.aol.com/xtal1/absolut.htm

2.  _Absolut Ad Collectors' Mailing List (AACML)_ - a weekly newsletter
with trading notices.

I have more information about the two people who maintain this newsletter
(one of whom appears to be affiliated with the Baltimore County Public
Library!); if anyone is interested let me know.

*** Absolut ad "Hit Lists"

1.  A list of Absolut Ads and the periodicals which contain them.  There
are actually several of these lists on the Internet, but this one is listed
by *periodical* and so is of interest to libraries.  This is essentially a
"hit list" for potential mutilators:

http://w3.one.net/~absolut/NatsAds/A.html

2.  There is even a searchable database for finding periodicals containing
Absolut Ads:

http://www.completeis.com/~cdh/absolut/abwhere.cgi

Barbara

Barbara Q. Prior