Our library system has a somewhat ecclectic collection of art purchased by
the Friends of the Library and with new construction funds/contributions
throughout the last thirty years. Much of it is rather valuable - some of
it is, well, um, "interesting".  Because we've recently finished a project
whereby the collection has been examined, conserved, and (often)
relocated, it is gathering alot more public interest (good, bad, and
ugly).

Unfortunately, we do not have an acqusition policy in place for our art
collection (or any deaccession guidelines for that matter).  Because of
the nature of the funding source (part city, part county, part politics)
we can't really just use our collection policy for regular print
materials.

If anyone on the list is at a public library that has such a collection
policy in place I'd appreciate a copy (or a pointer to a location or two
on some web pages where such things are).  If you know of a library I
should call (I've got Chicago and NYPL on my list) or a contact name at
a public library with an art collection I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks much.

Anne
Anne Ross, Head
Fine Arts/Audio-Visual Depts.
Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library System

(813)273-3624
(813)273-3655 (fax)