Linda, et al.,
Rumors fly!
I have not heard the rumor that OCLC is changing MARC tags to use a
hypertext model using SGML. There has, however, been work in various camps
toward developing an effective SGML shell for MARC records.

I think your use of mapping is instructive, as that is where the research
and development seems to be happening these days. No one seems to harbor
the illusion (?) that all the databases of the world can talk the same
language. The discussion on many lists (here on ARLIS-L, VRA-L, InterCat,
museum lists) show that there are advocates for many many database
structures. Often the database decision has little to do with what's
"best" -- partly because I don't think any of us realistically expect to
have the same database structure in ten years. Navigation from one
database to another, and the ability to migrate your data from one to
another, are perhaps more important than whether you're in MARC or SGML or
FileMaker or Embark or whatever.

One good discussion of data models is "Digital image collections:
cataloging data model and network access" by Stephen Paul Davis in _RLG
Digital Image Access Project: proceedings ..._ (RLG, 1995). Of course this
is a couple years old already and who knows if even Stephen would build
the same model today. The proceedings cited here also include an essay on
the Berkeley involvement in DIAP and SGML, etc.

I don't know: is this "plain language"? I look forward to the comments of
others on the topic you bring up, Linda.

Sherman Clarke
NYU Libraries