Eileen;

I disagree.  The reproduction contract for images in a book generally
limits the number and language of editions, the size of the print run, and
forms of reproduction.  Almost every museum lending a transparency or
print to a publisher expressly limits the reproductions to that book and
does not allow any additional form of publication beyond the contract
without further contracts and fees.

A publisher would be required to reapply to owners of objects or the
copyright holders for permission to publish the images, even if it is only
scanning the pages for an electronic edition. Whether this would apply to
books no longer under copyright I don't know.

Gregg

Gregory P. J. Most
Chief Slide Librarian
National Gallery of Art