Yes Ann, it is true that digitization of a book will require permission,
but as a single entity.  The library and the publisher will  have to
agree, which for out of print books will probably start to happen with
some regularity.  But you won't have to deal with every owner of every
image in the book, which is what we are being asked to do.

Does this mean that if the book is digitized we can clip out the digital
details which are the images and use them as we please, since then we
won't have been the ones doing the digitizing?

Eileen Fry
Indiana University