The following panel proposal was accepted for the 1997 ARLIS/NA conference
in San Antonio, but we need ADDITIONAL SPEAKERS.  This particular session
will be most appropriate for the ARLIS/NA 25th Anniversary Conference.  It
will be the only session dedicated to art libraries and their history in
North America.  As such, we co-moderators hope that the presentations will
offer insight into the development of art libraries on this continent.  We
also hope that there is sufficient visual material available to make for a
lively and interesting slide presentation.

PANEL TITLE:  Discovering Our Past and Tracing Our Histories:  The Early
Leaders and Founders of Art Libraries

CO-SPONSORS:  Academic Libraries Division and the Museum Libraries
Division

CO-MODERATORS:  Pat Barnett (Frick Art Reference Library, New York City)
and Ray Anne Lockard (Frick Fine Arts Library, University of Pittsburgh)

Celebrating such milestones as the 25th anniversary of ARLIS/NA leads us
to take pride in our young organization's accomplishments.  We can
congratulate ourselves on a job well done as we greet the 21st century
with a thriving membership and a variety of challenges and opportunities.
One of those opportunities is to examine our history before documentation
is lost, we retire, or we forget.

While ARLIS/NA has begun to collect histories of those who have received
our life-time achievement award, few of us have studied the founders of
our libraries.  Who were those individuals?  What motivated them to
develop art collections and libraries?  Why were they establioshed when
they were?  How have the libraries evolved over time and what historical,
economic, cultural or personal factors have driven that evolution?

SPEAKERS:

Pat Barnett and Ray Anne Lockard will give a joint paper on Miss Helen
Clay Frick, but we are looking for speakers on the founders of other art
libraries in North America.  We prefer to have one more contribution about
a museum library and one more about an academic library.  It is important
for each speaker to accompany their presentations with slides.

Interested speakers may contact either Pat Barnett ([log in to unmask]) or
Ray Anne Lockard (at the address below) by FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 1996.
That deadline is important because all moderators must have submitted
conference material to the Program Planners by October 1, 1996.

Please e-mail or call one of us if you have any questions!  We are eager
to hear from people who are interested in participating!

                                Ray Anne Lockard
                         Head, Frick Fine Arts Library
                           University Library System
                            University of Pittsburgh