Maryly:  I think that the analogy you draw between books and
slides is not right.  A "book" and a "slide" in a collection are
analogous.  An image of a slide on a network is analogous to the
digitization of a book on a network, which the library would cer-
tainly be required to get permission to do.  There has been con-
versation in the past about whether or not the library or slide
library owns the copyright on its local cataloging information.
While some publishers may not pay for reproduction rights, a
great majority of them do go through channels and pay for the
rights.  As far as the central subject is concerned, I agree
by and large with you and Max about the effect of the guide-
lines.

Ann

--
Ann B. Abid        [log in to unmask]