I think we are all "vr people" in the sense that we have a vital interest
in the availability of images for our students.  In my case, I'm simply
too new to the issues to have well-formed opinions on the pros and cons
of CONFU specifically.  But I greatly value the opportunity to read the
views of those of you who are more up on this.

--  Dana

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Maryly Snow wrote:

> Gregg, I am not happy with the way your characterize
> my opinion.  I have no idea why art librarians have not
> been discussing CONFU on ARLIS-L, but I can SURMISE that
> perhaps they aren't interested, perhaps they think this is
> an issue for the vr community.  Based on the evidence, I
> made an assessment, not a pronouncement.
>
> I would also like to disagree with your assessment about the
> guidelines having or not having the force of law.  They are
> not law, but the CONFU guidelines will be interpreted by legal
> counsel at countless institutions of education and
> culture as the guidelines, in exactly the same way that the
> classroom guidelines have been interpreted, which is AS IF they
> have the force of law.
>
> You state that the final draft "will be released for discussion
> and ratification by the Society".  Another way of stating this,
> and a more accurate way in my mind, might be "will be released f
> or discussion about whether the Society will ratify or not".
>
> I agree with Max that these guidelines would place an incredibly
> deletirous burden on eduational institutions if passed.  No one has
> to ask permission from a publisher of a book to list the book in
> the local library catalog. Why should a slide library have to ask
> the publisher of the book, a publisher who did not secure the
> reproduction rights, nor paid for those rights, for permission to list
> an image from the book on the campus image index?
>
> Clearly Gregg and I both feel strongly about CONFU, he for
> ratification, and me against ratification.  We don't know where
> the non-vr people in ARLIS stand, and that is too bad.  But since
> the CONFU guidelines are being devised specifically for thumbnail
> images on a campus area network only, perhaps it makes sense
> that the vr community is the
> group with the energy behind the issue.
>
> Maryly Snow
> UC Berkeley

Dana Beth    phone: 314-935-5218
Art & Architecture Librarian  fax: 314-935-4362
Washington University, Box 1061         email: [log in to unmask]
St. Louis, MO 63130