Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear colleagues: I have a bibliographic question for you. I want to research the professional position of lithographers and engravers in society in the 18th and 19th centuries. The artists who made engravings and lithographs of OTHER PEOPLE'S art. I believe they were paid to make reproductions. But maybe they worked on spec. Maybe they had to recover their own costs. Did they decide what to copy or where they hired? How they were hired, who they were, what was their business was like, were they under pressure to crank out a passable likeness in a short period of time or under pressure to make the most artistic likeness even if it took four years to translate a painting into an engraving, were they respected as artists or denigrated as copyists or technicians? I also want to know which kinds of images were translated like this, not just famous paintings, but also foreign travel. Can someone recommend the best one, two, or three books on this topic? Or a bibliographic essay? Or even a few hints as to LC subject terms. I have tried "copyists" which refers to manuscript and copying. I have tried "art reproductions" which doesn't get me where I want. I've tried "photomechanical reproductions" which is basically technical. I have a few titles recommended to me by other librarians, such as William Ivins' Prints and Visual Communication" and Muller-Brockmann's History of Visual Communication", but I am still hoping for something more specific. Please respond to me off the list at "slides@ced.berkeley.edu". Thank you very much, Maryly Snow slides@ced.berkeley.edu