For item three, may I suggest slide sets, or a reference file which
directs people to education based slide/video rental programs some US
museums provide for free or for nominal charges.  Circulating slides
may be a problem, I know some public libraries consider the quantity/
small size factor of slides to be too much of an impediment to any
successful loan service.   And this does not begin to deal with the
current concerns with copyright (how about just cd-rom products used
in-house?).

If you do decide to develop a slide collection, put the word out with
any local museums/educ. institutions, they may have extra slides they
would be willing to donate.

Mary Wassermann
Slide Librarian
Philadelphia Museum of Art