Dear Polly ... et al.:
Studying "traditional cataloging" or ICONCLASS and AAT shouldn't have to
be an either/or choice. If your cataloging course is any good, you will be
allowed to steer your papers toward special tools or areas of interest,
like ICONCLASS, the Art & architecture thesaurus, or image cataloging.

The theory of cataloging includes the fundamental study of why we describe
something and how we gain access to it. We may describe it according to
the "ages-old" traditional library methods (now represented by AACR2) or
methods like HTML or SGML. We are still describing or indexing a
document in order to gain access. We may gain access through LCSH and LC
classification, or other subject or classification schemes (including
virtual electronic arrangements).

I would suggest that you take the traditional cataloging class for the
general theory and talk to the professor about your interest in art
materials. Aim your papers or projects toward the subject.

Sherman Clarke
NYU Libraries