Hi Image Fraternity,

I have been following this debate with avid interest here in Australia, and
would still be interested in reading comments on the list. I feel that
these models might influence our situation here, and therefore feel very
much involved.

I do know that multimedia companies sometimes spend millions of dollars on
copyright searches and the administrative costs they generate, something
beyond our means. They are generating profits from a product, a business we
are not in.
I still feel that it is a new medium that is creating a fear of the unknown.

I personally still want to purchase a slide and then have the right to
digitise it, and place it on a LAN. It is a fair expense to do so and we
should not be penalised for making images more accessible and visible for
research in an educational setting to clients,  with impossible fees and
overheads...as in this economic climate we are certainly not the goose
laying golden eggs. These fees will simply stop projects.

It is hard enough to make left brained people appreciate the value of
images anyway! And a lot of them are on the budget committees. I have
opposing arguments from people in this camp who cannot understand the fuss
made about a silly little slide, when money could be spent on scientific
lazers, etc. Also when they cannot subject access the item they simply
become grumpy and try to cut your slide budget.

Therefore if image marketers make this difficult for us they are in a way
curtailing their own market place, especially as art colleges have to fend
for funding within a much larger University heirarchy which may see art as
the icing on the cake ( not the interpretive mirror of a culture ). Digital
images are still too expensive to buy direct ( twice the price of a slide
at least).

Is the Getty Foundation lobbying for you?

Keep up the good fight!

Jennifer QCA

>I have been asked to gather comments and concerns about the recent CONFU
>guidelines from the point of view of the Visual Resources Division.  I will
>then prepare a statement for presentation to the ARLIS board when it meets
>in San Antonio, August 10-11.  I would be most grateful to hear from anyone
>with comments on the draft of the CONFU guidelines before the end of this
>week.  Please respond to me off-list at:  [log in to unmask]
>
>Thanks.
>
>Martha R. Mahard
>Curator, Visual Collections
>Fine Arts Library, Harvard College Library
>Fogg Museum, 32 Quincy St., Cambridge, MA 02138

Views expressed above are personal, and are not necessarily the policy of
Griffith University.

Jennifer Brasher            `  `  ` `   EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
Art Librarian                  ``  `  ` VOICE: +61 (07) 3875 3132
                                  `  ` `FAX: +61 (07) 3875 3133
SNAIL MAIL                           ` ` `  `
Queensland College of Art Library       ` ` ` `
Griffith University                        ``````
Clearview Terrace                             ``*`*
Morningside Campus                                 *
PO Box 84 Morningside Brisbane Queensland 4170 Australia
"As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its fascination.
When  it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be popular."
Oscar Wilde " The Critic as Artist. Pt ii."