Hello Paul,

At the CCA Library we have an extensive vertical file collection. The
files are arranged alphabetically by title; however, due to our
particular setup (closed stacks, large Reading Room) they are physically
separated into four groups: architects; Montreal buildings (by name);
Montreal everything-else (e.g. Montreal-Parks); all-the-rest (all-the-
rest ends up in the closed stacks).

We prefer to file things under the name of an architect or corporate body
(which in our case most often ends up being the name of an architecture
firm or a building).  However, when we create subject files we use AAT
headings as "titles".

We have input our architect and building files into the RLIN AMC database and
they are also in our local system.  Our circulation manager keeps an up-dated
master list (with see/see also's) in a wordperfect file for ready reference.
If you have access to RLIN you can retrieve the records by a title word
search with "vertical file".  The records are kept as simple as possible
(since the vertical file may grow enormously we do not attempt to indicate
the contents).

We also posted a list of the vertical files on architects on our web page.
This was just a straight listing of names in alphabetical order.  It did
generate quite a lot of queries through the e-mail link provided.  Of course,
some of these were from people who seemed to think we could send the file
over the net :) .  (The web page is not really in a state to be pointed to at
this time.)

Best wishes,

Renata Guttman
Chef, Services aux usagers/