I'm grateful to all the helpful colleagues who sent me answers off-list.
For those of you who might still be wondering, the Lewis Walpole Library
is located in Farmington CT and has a notable collection of prints. It is
an outpost of the Yale University library system and is thus listed in the
ALA directory under New Haven CT (with no cross reference at Farmington);
there is also no listing in museum directories. But thanks to help
from colleagues in Connecticut and elsewhere I now know how to find it.

Three cheers for ARLIS-L ... when one really needs to know an answer
and is stumped, it's great to have colleagues with the solution at
their figertips!
Thanks,
Andras

Andras J. Riedlmayer