Polly,
I'm going to reply to both of your recent questions.
On cataloging--one very important reason to study general cataloging is
to be able to communicate with technical service staffs in your
institution and other places. You have to have the basics to understand
each other, to ask for their assistance, to decide what to do with
materials that might not fit easily into traditional catagories.

Starting out--I have recently been on a seach committee and want to
stress the importance of the cover letter for beginning librarians. Have
someone edit it for you--typos and grammatical errors are killers. Read
the job posting very carefully, respond to it point by point; generic
letters are useless. It's good to sound enthusiastic but don't go on and
on about the future of librarianship or technology. It sounds like a
student paper, not a mature professional. If you talk about technology,
try to tie it to specific uses, don't just list dozens of applications
you know.

Good luck,
Iris Snyder
University of Delaware Library