I recently asked for advice from the list about finding entry level positions
when I finish library school.  Over 20 people graciously responded to me
off-list.  I also received about six requests from fellow students asking what
I had learned.  What follows is a summary of the information I received.

Everyone agreed that practicums and/or internships are a good start.  Not only
are you in a position to gain valuable experience (and it DOES count as work
experience so put it on your resume), but you also make invaluable contacts.
Being in the right place at the right time is the main thing.  Many of my
correspondents said that they got their first real jobs in the library where
they did an internship or through the help of someone they worked with
recommending them.  Assistant-level and/or part-time positions can also turn
into full-time professional positions.  Contract work was also mentioned by
several people.  I understand from one of my professors that the Special
Libraries Association local chapter will usually be able to put you in touch
with agencies that specialize in contract librarians.  A common theme was that
often jobs are not posted at all but filled by knowing someone who would be a
good fit, so good impressions are essential.

Many people suggested information seeking activities -- interviews, site
visits, telephone calls and e-mail -- to help locate the type of library and
collection in which you are most interested.  If there are no internships or
assistant-level or part-time openings, volunteer at the library where you want
to work.  Once they get to know your work habits and see how valuable you can
be to the organization, you will be the first to come to mind when an opening
occurs.

Several people suggested that job postings are more like wish lists for
qualifications rather than hard and fast requirements.  Some writers emphasized
that while an employer may want 15 years experience and several foreign
languages, if the job only pays $21,000/year, the employer realistically
understands that he or she may not find the ideal candidate who will work for
that pay.  The consensus was to apply for any job YOU KNOW YOU CAN PERFORM.
Use your cover letter to highlight the particular qualities that make you the
candidate they need to hire.  Tailor your cover letter and resume as much as
possible for each job to which you apply.  If you worked as a manager in
another type of business, stress your managerial skills.

It was suggested to look at all outlets posting jobs.  American Libraries, ALA
Placement Services, organizational job lines, and the Chronicle of Higher
Education (on line at gopher://chronicle.merit.edu -- use "library" or
"librarian" for key word searching) were all mentioned.   Someone offered to
add my name to the mailing list of library jobs in Ohio.  If you are
interested, let me know and I will send you her address off-list.

Become a student member of appropriate organizations like ARLIS, both at the
state and national level, and attend conferences when possible.

Qualities potential employers will look for are:

                        modern computer technology
                        maturity
                        enthusiasm
                        professionalism
                        energy
                        good communication skills
                        creativity
                        flexibility

Other things the applicant needs are PERSISTENCE and LUCK.  If there is
anything I've left out or you need clarified, let me know.  If a non-student
reading this sees something I've missed, please share it on the list.

Thanks again to everyone for your generosity and encouragement.

Polly Trump