--- You wrote:
We are looking at:

what materials to keep duplicates of
how to process the duplicates when we find them
how to get rid of the duplicates we don't want (book sale, sell to dealer,
use in trade...)
criteria to use in deciding which copy to keep

If anyone has experience with doing a book sale, we'd like to hear about
that, too.
--- end of quoted material ---

I rarely add duplicates to the circulating collection.  I do it only when I
expect high demand.  I always add a second copy for Dartmouth exhibition
catalogues.  Some titles might be needed by people working on different
artists, e.g. we have 3 copies of Whitney Chadwick's _Women, art, and society_,
especially for undergraduates.

As to disposing of unwanted duplicate copies, we have just started having an
onging book sale.  We price books by size, with color-coded dots:

-Setting Prices:  Paperbacks:
                 5-31 pp.:  blue dot:  .80
                 32-70 pp.:  yellow dot:  $2
                 71+ pp.:  red dot:  $3 or white dot, as appropriate

                 Hardcover:
                 white dot:  as marked, $5 or $10

-Other Pricing considerations:
                book thickness and size
                    amount of color reproductions
                    book condition
                    notoriety of artist, author, or museum

-Reduce all books that have been on sale more than two months to half-price.
An additional orange sticker indicates half-price.

We keep boxes of the books in a corner of the library at all times.  The boxes
have the key to the color-coding for the prices.

Barbara E. Reed
Art Librarian                                                           phone:
(603) 646-3831
Dartmouth College                                                       fax:
(603) 646-1218
6033 Carpenter Hall
Hanover NH  03755-3570