Hello - I have q request from one of our students for information on
the 19th-century French draughtsman, Bernard Romain Julien, 1802-
1871.  He does appear in Benezit and Thieme-Becker, but only very
briefly.  He is NOT in the _Artist Biography Master Index_ from
Gale.  There is a short entry on him in _Bryan's Dictionary of Painters
and Engravers_, probably just lifted from Benezit.

I have searched RLIN and OCLC and turned up a couple titles at Yale,
University of Illinois, and the National Library of Medicine.  I have
not checked the NUC.  I did a Dialog search of Artbibliographies Modern,
RILA (as far as it goes on Dialog), and Dissertation Absracts and found
nothing.

Can anyone offer additional insight or suggestions?  The student says
that Julien mastered a certain technique of drawing with cross-hatching,
and he's dying to see illustrations of the work.  Any tips will be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Sara J. MacDonald, Reference Librarian
Albert M. Greenfield Library, University of the Arts
320 S. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19102  USA
Voice: (215) 875-1016  Fax: (215) 875-2296
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
UArts home page: http://www.libertynet.org/~uarts/