If I remember correctly, the following book contains a rather substantial
discussion of the "broken back" pose so beloved by 19th century artists:

Dijkstra, Bram. _Idols of Perversity: Fantasies of Feminine Evil in Fin-de-
     Siecle Culture_. NY:Oxford University Press, 1986.

I read this quite a long time ago, so I hope my memory isn't playing tricks,
but I'm pretty sure it was this book. I don't think it was limited to the
Pre-Raphaelites, either. I'm not sure this will give the *source* of the
pose but it should certainly give more information. Let me know if I'm
hallucinating this...

Edith Crowe