Hi Elizabeth - if you search library literature, you may find the
guidelines you are looking for. There are also lost of books of compiled
example policies you may wish to use as a model. I recently wrote a
couple policies for our art and architecture collection which you can
view on the web if you like at:

http://www.lib.umich.edu/libhome/ArtArch.lib/artpolicy.html

and

http://www.lib.umich.edu/libhome/ArtArch.lib/archpolicy.html

Hope this helps.

Janine Odlevak                          Ph:  313.764.1303
Assistant Librarian                     FAX: 313.763.2322
Art & Architecture Library              email: [log in to unmask]
2000 Bonisteel Blvd.
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan  48109-2069