Greetings,

As I was checking our holdings of John Castagno's reference works on
artists' monograms prior to ordering his Old Masters signatures and
monograms : 1400-born 1800 (Scarecrow Press, 1996), I noticed that we did
not hold the following title:

Artists' monograms and indiscernible signatures : an international directory,
1800-1991 / by John Castagno. -- Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1991.
xviii, 538 p. : ill. ; 29 cm. -- (Cartwheel learning bookshelf)

But we do have:

American artists : signatures and monograms, 1800-1989 / by John Castagno. --
Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1989.
826 p.

Artists as illustrators : an international directory with signatures and
monograms, 1800 to the present / by John Castagno. -- Metuchen, N.J. :
Scarecrow Press, 1989.
625 p.

European artists : signatures and monograms, 1800-1990, : including selected
artists from other parts of the world / by John Castagno. -- Metuchen,N.J. ;
London : Scarecrow Press, 1990.
895 p.

My first thought was to order the 1991 volume, but then I noticed it was
"international" in scope, basically covered the same period as the 1989 and
1990 publications, and was considerably smaller than the 89 and 90 titles.
And I wondered if the 91 title was some sort of compendium of the preceding
works.  If so, and I already have 89 and 90 titles, why bother ordering
it??

Since I obviously don't have the item in hand, would someone who holds
Artists' monograms and indiscernible signatures (1991) check the
preface/introduction and try to ascertain if it contains data not in the
earlier works?  Is it a unique reference work?

Since this may be of interest to others, please respond to the list.  Many
thanks.

Regards,

Peter Blank

Peter P. Blank                         102 Cummings Art Bldg.
Librarian                              Stanford, CA 94305-2018
Art & Architecture Library             415-725-1038
Stanford University                    fax 415-725-0140