Publishing advice sought

        After many years of research, I am now ready to seek a publisher
for a large dictionary-handbook of Russian women artists.  The book will be
based on a database of more than 1300 professional female artists working
in all styles and media from 18th century to the 1930's.
        Dictionary entries include biographical and educational
information, major works, exhibitions, prizes, collections, bibliographical
and other information.
        I would like to produce a standard reference work of women from
Russia and other countries of the former Soviet Union.  In addition to the
text, the book should have small black and white illustrations, and
extensive indexing.  It should be kept in print for a long time.
        Since I have not previously published a book of this nature, I
would appreciate any thoughts, especially concerning:
        1) reputable and appropriate publishers
        2) personal experiences with publishers of reference works
        3) thoughts about usefulness, format, print runs, and selling price.

Thanks for your help.

Charlotte Douglas ([log in to unmask])