I've done some brief quotes from replies to my query about outsourcing
digital image capture and will tell you first about my investigations, for
the Australian listeners ( and everyone who is interested !!!). I'm still
weighing all the scenarios.

My investigations with KODAK in Australia seem very expensive.

$19.95 per Photo CD ( 100 images per CD).
$1.80 per Scan, no discount for bulk images as they say it is near cost now.
(I don't have the money anyway!)
$7.50 per image for colour corrected scan.
For the 1600 images I envisage at the  moment. ( 100 images per Photo CD).

Cost

$19.95 x 160 Photo CDs = $3192
1600 images X $1.80 = $1,880
_________________________________
Total Cost = $5,072
_________________________________

An extra $7.50 per image is charged for colour adjustment using Photoshop,
which is necessary even when KODAK scans the images for you.
_________________________________

Weigh this against in-house set up painted below. I think I will be saving
money if my staff can adjust with Photoshop in 3 - 5  minutes.

If I buy a Nikon SuperCoolScanner  - Cost  $3,159
Photoshop Upgrade - $450.00
Raid Controller (4MB ECC Sim)for Image Storage and Server - $$2887.00
(Live Picture for Zoom - $599 ???)
Watermark Software????
Total Cost - $6,987 +

The scanner scans 50 slides in 60 minutes.

The RAID will save the need for Photo CDs, as it is a mirror backup/server
in one. ( Cheaper to then store the images on optical magneto tapes than CD
ROMs if archival image storage needed), however I am assured that the RAID
does not fail in the backup stakes even if you are hit by lightening.

For the cost of one project (1,600 images) with KODAK, I am set up with
equipment to scan 16,000 images. If I need more room I buy more Simms for
the RAID. I have the images sitting there waiting to be pulled out pronto
from an image pool, not sitting on CD ROMs in storage.

If someone wants to take the image out they can still download onto a
magneto tape , or  access through LAN network, or still take out the old
trusty slide, after browsing the thumbnails/ full res scans on the LAN.

AMERICAN STORY
Rachel deals with competetive vendors which reduces  cost to  capture onto
Photo CD and feels they do a better job than student/staff.

Rachel Dvoretzky          [log in to unmask]
Slide Curator             tel 713.527-4836
Art & Art History         fax 713.527-4039
Rice University           6100 S. Main  Houston, Texas 77005

"It is my opinion that if you can get your Photo CD scans for a dollar or less,
you will save money because of the time involved in other types of manual
scanning." Photo CD still has to be adjusted with photoshop but student
help has narrowed margine to 3 minutes per slide. "in other words you can
quickly tell that the whole disk is a little too magenta, for example."

"I have been talking to the newdirector of RIT's photo management
department about being able to offer cheapscans to VRA members. He was
receptive, so we will see..."