Thanks to all for your quick response to my query regarding the Chaim
Sountine catalogue raisonne.  To those who expressed concern about
someone purchasing a book just to cut it up, I knew I shouldn't have
added that line to my message but I am reminded of the following 60's
happening: "John Latham, b.1921, lives in London, ART & CULTURE evidence,
1966/7.  In August 1966, because of the persuasive power of the book
among students, and its provocative title, John Latham withdrew the copy
of Clement Greenberg's ART & CULTURE from the library of the St. Martin's
School of Art.  An event, STILL & CHEW, was organized with Barry
Flanagan.  Invited students, critics, artists selected a page each to
chew: the product was spat into a flask.  About a third of the book was
consumed.  Chewed pages were later immersed in 30% Sulfuric Acid and
converted to sugar, then neutralized by sodium bicarbonate.  Next an
Alien Culture was introduced-a yeast-and the solution bubbled for several
months.  At the end of May '67, Mr. Latham received a card marked VERY
URGENT asking that the book be returned to the library of the school
(where he had been a part time instructor for several years).  The
solution was distilled, put in a glass container and returned to the
Librarian: a few minutes were required to persuade her that this was
indeed the book referred to on the card.  The next morning a letter
arrived from the principal of St. Martin's saying that Mr. Latham was not
to teach there anymore."  Better our curator cut up her own copy of the
book than return ours in a glass jar.

I agree color copies are better than cutting up a book and the exhibition
designer may end up doing that anyway.

Thanks,
Mona Chapin
Cincinnati Art Museum