Dear colleagues,

To those with an interest in serials or responsibility in overseeing a serials
collection, I would like your advice on a strategic plan-related item
related to creating a guide to sources listing and/or reviewing new
serials titles (item 51 in the revised 1996 draft).

For anyone who has looked for reviews of art periodicals, we
know that they can be found in a variety of sources;
 in periodicals such as ArtDoc and Update, and in directories such
as Katz's book on magazines for libraries and Robinson's book on art
periodicals, just to mention a few.

Would you welcome or use a reference tool that would list recently launched
art periodicals (1980- ) and where they were reviewed or described, as a
method for evaluating them for purchase or subscription?  For example, if
 you wanted to initiate a subscription to "Modern Painters" but didn't have
a sample issue, would having a resource noting that it was reviewed in
Burlington Magazine in 1988, as well as mentioned in Update, etc., encourage
you to locate and read the reviews?

This was all prompted by discussions at the Serials Round Table business
meeting in Miami.  I'm trying to settle in my mind whether such a listing would
 be useful and welcomed or whether it would have marginal or little use.

An alternative to this idea also mentioned at the same meeting was to
compile only a listing of where to find reviews and descriptions of current
art periodicals, sort of an update to Carol Terry's 1986 IFLA article,
"How do you know what's new?," rather than noting specific titles.

Thank you in advance for your ideas, which can be sent directly to me at:

With appreciation and good wishes,

Alexandra de Luise
Queens College
Flushing, NY