ON 22-MAY-1996 LINDA ZIEPER WROTE:
> Are there any style manuals for graphics similar to APA
>Manual for writings?  Some people call it corporate identity
>manual (design of company's logo, color, etc.) you know of
>or you can suggest?

        I'm not sure if there is one definitive, authoritative
sourcebook for corporate ID programs, but here are three books
that might be helpful to a novice in the field:

                "The designer's guide to creating corporate
                I.D. systems for companies of all types and
                sizes" by Rose DeNeve (North Light Bks., 1992)

                "Corporate identity design" by Veronica
                Napoles (Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1988)

                "Designing corporate identity programs for
                small corporations" by David E. Carter
                (Art Direction Bk. Co., 1982)

        A classic book on graphic design in general is:

                "Editing by design : a guide to effective
                word-and-picture communication for editors
                and designers" by Jan V. White (Bowker, 1982)

This book relates mostly to design techniques for magazines and
newspapers, but does give the reader a sense of How Things Should
Look.

        A couple of books on the typographical end of design are:

                "Basic typography : design with letters" by
                Ruedi Ruegg (Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1989)

                "Type and image : the language of graphic
                design" by Philip B. Meggs (VNR, 1989)

        LC subject headings for corporate ID programs include CORPORATE
IMAGE, LOGOTYPE, LOGOGRAPHY, and INDUSTRIAL DESIGN COORDINATION.  I hope
this helps!

                                        --Kristin Bayruns
                                          Catalog Librarian
                                          Moore College of Art & Design