Sorry about this but ...............
I really don't understand why it is cutting off. I've checked with our
systems people here and don't have an explanation from our end. I'll try to
make it even briefer and send again. If at first you don't
succeed........!!!!

Jennifer QCA

FILEMAKER

The image file problem with Filemaker can easily be solved by setting up a
separate high res image file linked into Filemaker text database with low
res thumbnail. The down side is setting up file names and links and slower
results.

EMBARK

In relation to the comment of EmbARK being cumbersome, received only
positive reponses.

2 replies : Very happy with EmbARK

Due to the complexity of the database it takes time to become familiar with
the set up.

It is faster than Filemaker in terms of multiple entries of data.

Search time can be slower than Filemaker, but is due to its more complex
data structure. (  However Filemaker might be slowed by the separate image
file needed?)

Limited experience with EmbARK, but compares it  to the steep learning
curve  in operating any relational database, but well worth the end result.

One drawback:wants to add on  own custom file for identities of people, ie.
profession eg. women lawyers? (Could link in functions from other software
such as Excel, etc, to perform more tasks that Filemaker refused to do.
This might be the way to go with EmbARK - have Filemaker ( etc.) work in
tandem with it.)

Worked with Filemaker and is considering EmbARK, was wondering: why bother
with high res image capture?

(Image resolution tangent:-

Eventually the image has to live up to the standards of print publications,
and have the fine detail mentioned in the article in the "New York Times",
" The Perils and Pixels of Getting Art Online" :- mentions digital
imaging's inability to capture single hair brush detail, discussing work
which is featured in  early german works eg. large townscapes had details
of objects eg. vases in tiny windows, etc., created with single  hair
brushes.

If hardware display and laser beam ( for digial image capture)fine tuning
improves then it would be a shame to have a lot of very poor res images
stored away. Software such as Livepictuere now allows us to zoom on digital
images) without pixelation.)

EmbARK: by DCI: contact  Monika Hoffman

>>Many of you have been discussing database issues, often referencing
>>EmbARK. You
>>may be interested to know that there now exists an EmbARK listserv; if you are
>>interested in subscribing, please see the information below.
>>
>>If you would like to contact me directly, my e-mail is:

Ciao

Jennifer QCA

Jennifer Brasher                        EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
Art Librarian                           VOICE: +61 (07) 3875 3132
                                        FAX: +61 (07) 3875 3133
SNAIL MAIL
Queensland College of Art Library
Griffith University
Clearview Terrace
Morningside Campus
PO Box 84 Morningside Brisbane Queensland 4170 Australia

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one
depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw