Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 09:14:53 -0700
To: [log in to unmask] <GenniHoulihan>
From: [log in to unmask] (Cheryl Siegel)
Subject: Library access

        Dear Genni,
        We too are consideriing library access at this point.
        Our Library Staff is 2 strong (one Library assistant and two
Librarians sharing a full time position).

We are currently open to the public on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
and Friday, 1:00 - 5:00.  Our Slide Library, which is staffed entirely by
volunteers and lends slides to the public is open those same hours.  We do
reduce our hours in the summer and close for the entire month of July.

        Staff have access to the library at all times (they all seem to
have keys).  Appointments are not required, unless members of the public
wish to come to the library during hours that we are not open.

        We do accept reference questions by telephone, letter, e-mail and
fax - we will also respond to thtese in whatever seems the best way. (i.e.
we might respond to a letter or an e-mail with a fax)  So far, we've had
few queries in the electronic mode.

        We do seem to have a 'shrinkage' problem and we're not quite
certain how or why this is happening.  This may be staff people who can't
bother to sign things out when they're in here after hours - or public who
hide behind the shelves to look at the photography books.  We have not done
an inventory for many, many years, so our idea of what's missing is a bit
hazy.  Security does control access to the library and patrons must sign in
and wear a special badge, but we have not yet asked they to check their
bags (we will start doing this in the fall) and we don't frisk people as
they're leaving.

        I'd be interested in knowing what kinds of responses you're getting
to this query.

        Thanks and good luck
        Cheryl

Cheryl Siegel