Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 18:17:43 EDT
From: [log in to unmask]
To: Multiple recipients of list ARLIS-L <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: those doggone dogs

   In library school, at Columbia U., I wrote a twenty page paper on kitsch.
Luckily I remembered seeing this image in one of my resources.  Now I can't
seem to get away from it as colleagues were so impressed they have been giving
me poker dog items (ash trays, ties, etc.) ever since. The artist, Cassius M.
Coolidge, seems to have done more than one version of this image.  To see an
example of one  ("His Station and Four Aces") see:  Brown, Curtis F.
Star-Spangled Kitsch. NY, Universe Books, 1975 p.147.  Another source, although
dated, that may lead patrons to reproductions is:  The Art Buyer's Index, Los
Angeles, CA, Graphic Press, 1985- (vol.1) Reproductions of "A Friend in Need"
and "Poker Sympathy" (both featuring poker dogs) were available in the Fall
1995 Wireless Catalog 1-800-669-9999.
                                            Happy Hunting

                                            Jill McConkey
                                            Librarian II