I'm trying to locate a portrait by Sir James Jebusa Shannon (1862-1923)
and am hoping the list might be able to help.

The painting is a portrait of Miss Marjorie Shannon, the niece of the
artist, and was probably executed around 1905-1910.  It is a 3/4
length portrait of Miss Shannon as a young woman of about 18. Shannon lived
most of his life in England, working as a portrait painter, and probably
executed the work while on a visit to the US.

The painting was in a gallery in Melbourne before World War II but was
sold to a gallery in London shortly after the war.  Unfortuately, we do not
know which dealers in Melbourne and London handled the painting. It is
our best guess that the painting is still in England, perhaps in a
private collection.

I'm still working my way through sources but thought I'd ask here as
well.  Any and all help will be appreciated -- I just need a push in the
right direction.  Please respond to the email address below.

Many thanks,

Marisa Keller
The Corcoran Gallery of Art