 I've been testing out 95 for months now and it has just hit the
desktops in our centers (minimally.)  I think, overall, it is an
excellent option, but requires a *LOT* of locking down.

 You need to use the resource kit and the policy editor to lock off
almost all of the options and store your desktop, network
neighborhood, and start menu on a remote server (Netware, 95, or NT)
but with a little setup time, it locks everything up nicely.
 Here's a brief list of what you can lock off with the policy
editor...
 Network Neighborhood... remove it entirely, remove "Entire Network",
  remove workgroup, have a custom built set of shortcuts ina custom
  "Neighborhood" (if put on a remote server, you can even password
  this.)
 My Computer... Remove Control Panels, remove drive Icons (I made an
  alias to the a: drive and public network space for the desktop.)
 Start Menu... Remove run, find, customize all the menus, remove some
  or all settings, remove shutdown.
 Desktop... Turn off the "Save Settings", force color schemes and
  wallpaper, lock off some or all apperance control panels.

 Also, there is an option for you to limit what executables will run,
this is a little flakey (Sometimes has a problem because some
executables call other executables.) And, never, ever, forget to add
the poledit.exe file to the list :)  (I did that, can you say,
re-install.)

 I've tried to avoid using individual logins through Win 95.  We have
a different piece of software we use to validate log ins, which we
have to force through DOS in a very ugly fashion.
 However, this does limit some of the options of 95, such as remote
administration.   Still, I don't think its worth it in a lab.  Go
with one default login.

 Hope that helps

 --Bryan

> We are thinking over the summer of updating our lab to win95 but before
> we start we were wondering what success, failures, disappointments,
> achievments others have had with it.
>
> The main questions we have
>
> How does it handle the multiple logins?  Since it stores names and
> passwords locally how will it differentiate multiple users and rights?
>
> How can we lock down Network Neighborhood so they cannot see
> whats out there (and change thier printer to the non-counting queue)?
>
> Currently we do a weekly reload of windows (delete everything and
> download from the network a clean copy) so that everything will be the
> same.  Is there a way of doing that with 95?
>
> How can we make it so the students couldnt add files to the hard
> drives??  We currently are hidding most of our directories and files (yes,
> the students do know that trick but we have the command on the
> network not locally so they have to be logged in and we have them
> then).
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Candy

> There is too much blood in my caffeine system.
>
> Candy Lappen              [log in to unmask]
> UC Berkeley
> College of Chemistry
>
> All opinions expressed are my own and in now way can be considered
> actual ideas.

~~~http://pubpages.unh.edu/~bls~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~                              ~     Bryan L. Scovill    ~
~ My World,                    ~ Novell Admin/Instructor ~
~      My Rules                ~          CIS/TSAS       ~
~                              ~            UNH          ~