I'm looking for academic library policies on public access Internet
terminals in the library.

We installed a public access Internet terminal in January of this year.
So far "public access" has meant that anyone who comes in our
library can sit down and use it for an unlimited amount of time.
Patrons can do everything except send or receive e-mail.  A few
patrons have asked that we set time limits; they're frustrated at
their inability to get on.  This has increased in recent weeks as some
of the students have discovered chat rooms and such and spend a
great deal of time online in one session.

How do others manage?  Do you have sign-up sheets?  Time limits?
A limit of one hour? Two hours?  Can recreational browsers be
bumped off?  What is recreational versus educational??  (I think I
know, but what does one say in a policy?)

I might add that this Internet access is provided by only one
terminal, and is the only one in the entire university so far.  (Ours is
a small institution, about 1350 students.)  It's also one of the most
popular new items we've ever put into place, aside from our online
catalog.  The type of account we have with our Internet provider
includes 100 hours of connect time per month, plus $2.00/hour for
every hour over the 100 hours.  So far we haven't exceeded our
limit, but I expect that we will soon.

Thanks very much.

Sara J. MacDonald, Reference Librarian
Albert M. Greenfield Library, University of the Arts
320 S. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19102  USA
Voice: (215) 875-1016  Fax: (215) 875-2296
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
UArts home page: http://www.libertynet.org/~uarts/