>Ursula, I understand your problem because as a user of your library I have
>suffered from it!
>
>This suggestion doesn't solve the problem of after-hours access, but helps
>maybe to track down the missing materials.
>
>When I was in grad. school at the Institute of Fine Arts in New York the
>library was non-circulating, but when we took a book off the shelf we had a
>sheet that we put in place of the book detailing where it was taken and who
>took it.  If you came upon a sheet instead of the book you were looking for,
>you knew where it was and could go ask the person if you could borrow the
>book for a couple of hours if they weren't using it.  Faculty were also
>subject to this system.  Of course it wasn't perfect because some people
>didn't use the sheet, but when we started it was impressed upon us very
>strictly by the library staff that it was the thing to do.  There were about
>100-200 students and about 35 faculty.
>
>Maybe you could institute this system instead of restricting access, and
>still keep track of the books.  If only a few staff members are causing the
>problem, it's not fair to restrict access for all.
>
>Julia Moore
>Indianapolis Art Center

Julia,
Thanks for responding.  We actually use this system you are describing
above.  Our problem is that staff can take library material without properly
checking it out while library staff is absent.  That's when it becomes
problematic because we do not know where it is. And this must have happened
while library staff is gone.

Let's have lunch together.
Best regards,
Ursula