Hello

I want to direct your attention on the Ryhiner project at the Stadt- und
Universitaetsbibliothek Bern, Switzerland.

We are cataloguing a collection of old maps and plans (about 14000) and
views (about 2000). Our homepage is at
http://ubeclu.unibe.ch/STUB/RYHINER/RYHINER.HTML, you can also look at our
online-catalogue (tn3270://as3.afibs.ch).

Our mapmaker archive is a list of all names we use in our catalogue, among
them are a lot of engravers, publishers and sellers of old prints. We try to
find out their date of life (or activity), their function and place of work.

As you can see above, the collection contains mostly old maps. You are
probably more interessed in the smaller part: the views. Beside some well
known works (most of Merian's Topographias, Braun/Hogenbergs Civitates orbis
terrarum), the collector Johann Friedrich von Ryhiner (1732-1803) owned some
series of views, which aren't as well documented in the literature we use.
As the collection is ordered geographically with no reference to the
connection between the single sheets, it's sometimes difficult to
reconstruct the original work or series, sometimes it's impossible.

I have some questions concerning this point:
Does anybody of this discussion group know an online-accessible catalogue
like ours, where we can perhaps find answers to questions concerning the
work of origin of our townviews? Are there other resources on the net for
17th/18th century prints? Is there an artist index on the net containing not
only the famous artists of that period but also engravers of the more
manuel-worker-type (especially maps are sometimes engraved by less gifted
engravers)?

This Mail is sent to ARLIS-L and PRINTS-L (sorry if you get it twice). Do
you know other groups who discuss related topics (for prints, old prints,
townviews, not for maps (I already know maphist))?

Thank you

Martin Kohler

   Martin Kohler
   Stadt- und Universitaetsbibliothek Bern