In answer to Brad Brace's query I want to update ARLIS-l on the financial
situation at Printed Matter.  During the past two years David Dean, the
director, has devoted himself to stabilizing the bookstore's immense
deficit which was accumulated during the early 1990s.  At the same time he
has redoubled Printed Matter's fund raising efforts in order to pay off
outstanding debts, many owed to book artists.  Printed Matter has been
gratified by recent successes with its fund raising initiatives.
Later this year two sets of fund raising multiples will be published to
benefit Printed Matter.

As a librarian who relies on Printed Matter to offer a broad spectrum of
innovative, unusual, small-edition publications unavailable from
mainstream vendors I have a keen interest in the survival of this unique
bookstore.  The store's informative catalog and its knowledgeable staff
are an invaluable resource, recognized (and appreciated) worldwide.  I
hope that colleagues who share my interest in artists' publications will
demonstrate their support for Printed Matter's initiatives by INCREASING
their acquisitions from the bookstore.  Together we can help them survive
this crisis and thrive.

In good faith,
                Janis Ekdahl

P.S.  If anyone is interested in the special edition multiples, I'm sure
that David Dean would love to speak with you.
Janis Ekdahl, Acting Director of the Library    (212) 708-9432
Museum of Modern Art Library                    (212) 333-1122 FAX
11 West 53rd Street                             [log in to unmask]
New York, NY  10019