conference attendee to collect any email that arrives on Thursday
or Friday).

DRAFT AGENDA, Museum Library Division Business Meeting
Sunday, April 28, 1996
11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

I.  Call to order

II. Appointment of recorder

III. Review of Past Year/Old Business

    1.  Museum library staffing issues
    2.  Liaison between ARLIS/NA and AAM
    3.  Museum internship proposal
    4.  1995 conference programming
    5.  Museum Library Statistics Group

IV.  New Business

    1.  Election of new moderator
    2.  Appointment of column editor
    3.  Program ideas for 1996

V.  Discussion of the Strategic Plan [available in the March
1996 issue of update]

VI. Other business

   I spoke with a number of people before the conference about
possible programs.  A list of ideas follows:

   --  Auction catalogs: print and electronic indexes;
          bibliographic control of catalogs; housing and
          management issues.  Stephen Van Dyk (Cooper-
          Hewitt Museum) and Lee Robinson (New York Public
          Library) are working on a program on this topic

   --  Gifts and exchanges: collection development,
          cataloguing, administrative and management issues
          involved in gifts and exchanges.  Cecilia Chin
          (National Museum of American Art) is interested
          in putting together a program

   --  Museum libraries as information centers: the key to
          survival for many museum libraries?  Pro's and
          con's, nuts and bolts of promoting public
          access and community outreach, and moving beyond
          the library as a collection to the library as
          an information center.  Ursula Klomstetter,
          [correction: Kolmstetter] (Indianapolis Museum
          of Art), suggested this topic, and is interested
          in working on a program

   --  "Service" in the museum library context: balancing
          the curatorial and administrative staff's idea
          of what constitutes service with the librarian's.
          Conflicts re: access to materials (open versus
          closed stacks; circulation policies), collection
          development (need to develop a balanced collection
          versus requests to buy everything), bibliographic
          control/standards issues ("why don't the librarians
          update the cards whenever somebody dies anymore?")

   --  Tapping non-library-oriented listservs and other
          electronic sources for management information.

Any and all other suggestions are welcome.

See you in Miami.

Elizabeth O'Keefe
Pierpont Morgan Library
(212) 685-0008