Hi,

In summary.

I've had a comment sent to me saying EmbARK has been found to be cumbersome
and hard to use by people in California. However being an image database,
it has the facility to store images at top resolution, which apparently,
according to Trudy Levy, Image Integration, cannot happen in the new
relational version of Filmaker Pro, which pops the image in the text file
database and reduces the image file size as a result. My opionion is that
if you're serious about an imaging project you have to store images at
maximum resolution, and cannot consider compromise on this level.

I have the EmbARK sitting waiting to go when we buy more memory in the form
of the new RAID technology, and also buy a Nikon SuperCoolScanner with
slide attachment. I have built a database on the earlier Filemaker version
and do find it very user friendly to a point, but totally frustrating in
its limitation of one function per file  and think the new relational setup
must improve the flexibilty of this setup, but see the limited image file
size as a serious drawback.

I've heard excellent reports about EmbARK, and I seem to have grasped the
basics of it but havn't had a chance to set it up yet. With Filemaker I had
a video tuition package and really EmbARK needs to have this service as
well. Manuals can be indiosyncratic and convoluted at times.

I'd appreciate further information, discussion and comments on the above
comparison on the list.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jennifer QCA

Jennifer Brasher                        EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
Art Librarian                           VOICE: +61 (07) 3875 3132
                                        FAX: +61 (07) 3875 3133
SNAIL MAIL
Queensland College of Art Library
Griffith University
Clearview Terrace
Morningside Campus
PO Box 84 Morningside Brisbane Queensland 4170 Australia

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one
depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw