Some historical perspective on faculty rank, and some personal
musings from one who has both had it and not:

Faculty rank was sought and gained in the good-old 60's and
early 70's, by and large, but few libraries have adopted
that model for their professional staff since then.  In most
cases it is either there as a vestige of that era, or not.
I am not aware of a case where a library/university is
now considering conferring this status on its library staff.
No one looking for a job can demand it; either it is part of
the situation or it isn't -- except in most unusual circumstances.
I don't think that it is realistic to put "faculty status"
into a list of objectives for professional development.

When I worked in the SUNY system as a librarian/slide curator in 1978/79
I found faculty status to be pretty much of a farce.  Librarians were not
paid on the faculty rate, and while they were required to
publish research findings for tenure, they were not given time
to do so. Furthermore, few had the skills to do research, so
their efforts were almost certainly to be found wanting when
the review time came.  No one in the admin. really helped
librarians gain those skills.  We attended faculty meetings,
but were admonished not to be vocal by the library administration.
We COULD eat in the faculty dining room, and that was a real
plus.  THE real plus.

In other libraries, librarians with faculty status seemed in the 70's to
make a point of being called professor so-and-so, but teaching faculty
really found this kind of pathetic.  I am sorry to be so blunt, but having
been on both sides, I can report on both, and that was the case in my
circumstances. For most teaching/research faculty in the university,
faculty status, in their minds, requires a doctorate except in performing
arts and a few other fields. This is really a sticking point.

This status probably looks good to VR curators, who have suffered from
unreasonably low status in art departments, but it has seemed to me that
they realistically gain more benefits from trying to get on the library
track, with some protections, then seeking faculty status, which they
probably will not get anyway.

Someone could survey the situation to get some objective date, but the
question is, once the data are collected, what can one do with it/them?  I
cannot imagine that local library directors would be swayed to seek
faculty status for their librarians, in these times of contraction, by the
knowledge that other institutions offer this benefit.

Am I just having a bad day?  Is there a sunnier view?  You must
understand that I am writing in the gloom, from a city that
prides itself on being either first, second, or third in the
"rainiest" category.  At least, in contrast to last week, it
is not snowing.  See you all in sunny Florida at the ARLIS
annual meeting!

DCS

Deirdre C. Stam, SyraCWIS Coordinator
Syracuse University's Campus-Wide Information System [www.syr.edu]
Client Services/CMS, Machinery Hall, Room 222
Syracuse University, Syracuse NY 13244
Phone 315-443-3831 or 3606
Fax   315-443-3817