Dear colleagues,

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question on library access by
staff.  It seems that others have the same concerns and worries.  Because of
their experience with lost material most of the museum librarians (who
responded) restrict access to the facility during the hours when it is
staffed.  Three of the libraries allow access after library hours for
curators only.  I would not have any problems with this but since the IMA
has to treat staff all equally this is not possible (another issue that is
debatable).
Most of the staff accepts the policy (only one curator causes problems but
he does that in other areas, too). Thanks to your "ammunition" and support I
was able to mention other museum libraries where this policy is enfoced, too.
 I also offered exceptions -i.e. if somebody needs to use the facilty after
hours they can write a note to let me know and I contact security  to let
them know about it.

See you all in Miami,

Ursula Kolmstetter
Indianapolis Museum of Art

Ursula  Kolmstetter                            Tel.: 317-923-1331 ext.225
Head Librarian                                     fax:  317-9268931
Indianapolis Museum of Art              e-mail: [log in to unmask]