Dear ARLIS/NA colleagues:
For many years, I have compiled a notebook of cataloging issues which has
been available for perusal during the annual conference. Though I'm late
in asking, I would very much like to hear from anyone who has corresponded
with the Library of Congress or other cataloging, etc. agencies. Your
letter(s) may address an issue that others have wished to see addressed.
And you may have gotten a helpful answer or at least clarification of the
issue.

This year's notebook will include reports from ALA (e.g. reports on
conferences, final report of the Subject Analysis Committee's
Subcommittee on the Order of Subdivisions in LC Subject Strings, USMARC
Advisory Group reports), the current draft of the proposed LCRI on
uniform titles for named works of visual art, discussions from AAT-L on
pre- and postcoordination of subject strings, and the letter from LC
about recurring exhibitions mentioned in the cataloging column in the
March 1996 issue of UPDATE.

If you have further contributions to offer, please send me two copies so
I can get them in the notebook before I leave for Miami Beach or bring
two copies with you (three-hole-punched). I'm asking for two copies since
there will be a copy of the notebook at the Registration Desk and another
copy in the Hospitality Suite.

After the conference, the notebooks will be available on "interlibrary
loan."

The Cataloging Problems Discussion Group will meet on Tuesday afternoon
during the conference. CPDG is an informal opportunity to ask about
issues of concern on the cataloging front. It is very much open to all
however. While some jargon might be used (and clarified if requested),
knowing how your data is manipulated is critical to being able to
deliver information to your users.

Thanks for your contributions.
Sherman Clarke
Bobst Library - Cataloging