Dear Colleagues,

I am currently doing a rather indepth reexamination of the services and
related employee activities in my academic, architecture, branch library.
This particular study was instigated by the recent vacancy of our
Architecture Reference Librarian position and a request by the University
Libraries' Administration that we provide justification for filling this
vacancy, as well as our "Plan B"--i.e. alternative staffing solutions.

I plan to order a copy of the latest edition of the ARLIS/NA Staffing
Standards but, in the meantime, the whole situation brought to mind a
larger issue.

When I was in library school, I remember being advised that, when seeking a
position at an academic library, I should prefer and/or insist upon a
position that had "Faculty" status. The idea being, I believe, that the
"Library Faculty" had a better chance of receiving a higher salary, support
for professional development (research, conference attendence, etc.), and,
ideally, collegial respect from the Administration and the  "Teaching
Faculty".

Is this still held to be true?

I noticed that the 1990 ARLIS/NA Salary Survey did not include a break-down
of "faculty" versus "staff/non-faculty" positions within the academic
library catagory. Is this something that might be considered in the next
survey? Has another library association conducted a recent survey including
and/or addressing this issue?

Thanks for your feedback!

Deborah Barlow, Branch Head
Emery A. Gunnin Architectural Library