Please excuse my ignorance if I am replying incorrectly.  I am relatively
new on the newslist.  But this message particularly intrigued me since it
is an area of interest I have pursued sporadically.  I work at an
Independent Living Center with people with disabilities, and especially
deaf and hard of hearing people.

I hope some of the following resources may be helpful, if not at least a
starting point.

Here are some good books:
        - Images of the Disabled edited by Alan Gartner and Tom Joe
                Ch. 1 has some the history aout how people with
disabilities have been viewed
                Ch.2 is entitled " The Cripple in Literature"
        - We Overcame: The Story of Civil Rights for Disabled People
        - No Pity by Joseph Shapiro
        - The Unseen Minority: A Social History of Blindness in the U.S. by
Frances Koestler.
        - When the Mind Hears by Harlan Lane (deafness)
        - Deaf Heritage: Narrative History of Deaf America by Jack Gannon

Organizations;
        - Media Access Office
        It is an alternative guild to "encourage the accurate portrayal
of the experience of disability."  It's a casting agency (maintain
resumes, etc.) and an information clearinghouse.
        Their address:
                Vivian Campos, Media Access Office
                11240 Magnoloia Boulevard, Suite 104
                North Hollywood, CA 91601
                (818) 752-1196 voice
                (818) 752-1197 TTY
                (818) 752-9341 fax
                I found MAO in a magazine called "One Step Ahead,"
January 30, 1995
        - Gallaudet University Bookstore has many books about deafness
and perhaps others that may have information about deaf people in
literature.  Their address is 800 Florida Ave, NE, Washington, DC
20002-3695.  The campus also has a clearinghouse of information, called
the National Center of Information on Deafness.

I hope some of this is the kind of information you are looking for.

- Maeleah Carlisle