> I am trying to find some information on a bronze sculptor, L. (or
> Louis) Fontinelle, 19th/20th century French, possibly an
> "animalier" although not mentioned in Horswell's Les Animaliers.
> The name of the sculptor crops up in auction sources like Art
> Price Index, and Mayer's, but NOT in Benezit, or Thieme-Becker,
  or ULAN, or RILA, or anywhere else that I could find.

> The sculptor apparently did small bronze sculptures, animals,
> also animals as bookenends (elephants, ibexes), and other
> figures.  This is not the first time that I find a sculptor's
> name easily in auction records, but not at all in standard
> biographical sources.  The patron is trying to find information
> about the sculptor, and not just auction prices.  If anyone can
> help with this, or suggest a source, I would appreciate it.

Kathy Zimon                             Library, LT 918
Fine Arts Librarian & Curator           2500 University Drive N.W.
Canadian Architectural Archives         Calgary, Alberta T2N 1N4
University of Calgary                   TEL: (403) 220-3795 FAX: 282-6837
                                        e-mail: [log in to unmask]