Sounds to me like your only option is to treat "off hours" library research
on an appointment-only basis.  We do this for archives research here at
Moore because at present the archives are in the basement and staff
must be present while research is going on (for security reasons) regardless
of who is using the archives.  You will have to make a clear policy about
how much lead time is needed for people to make off hours appointments.
People who are serious about doing research are generally willing to
make appointments---students are another story, but it doesn't sound
like you have students to deal with in your museum library.

You might consider letting some of your staff have flexible hours so
they can be available to "babysit" the library for these off-hours
appointments.  I know of other archives that have arrangements like
this and it works very well.  The people who get to flex their hours
usually like the arrangement too.

Judy Donovan
Library Director
Moore College of Art & Design