Date: 13 March 1996

              Re: 1997 ARLIS/NA conference in San Antonio, Texas

I am sure Elizabeth O'Keefe won't mind my lifting her post to
Museum members and directing it to you all, since we VRD members
have exactly the same chore to do re planning for the San
Antonio ARLIS/NA conference. Channel all your brilliant ideas in
any form whatsoever through me, as I am the incoming VRD
Moderator. I will do what I can to aid, abet and coordinate us
so we can have a substantive discussion about the Texas program
when we meet in Miami.

BTW don't miss our VRD business meeting in Miami. It will be an
important one.

As Elizabeth wrote to Museum Library Division members:

>The ARLIS/NA leadership has asked heads of divisions, chapters,
>and sections to set in motion planning for the San Antonio
>conference even before we all meet in Miami.  Program proposals
>for next year are due about a month after we get back from
>Miami, so the more advance planning, the less hectic the run-up
>to the deadline.

Some of VRD members are working on the 1996 program, most of us
are preparing for exams and I guess spring cleaning collections
is everyone's priority, but take a few minutes to think about it
and send 1997 VRD program susggestions to me by phone, email or
snail mail. SAVE my address below so if you have a brilliant
idea in the middle of the night next week you can contact me!

As Elizabeth further wrote, I reiterate to VRD members that
>The more fully fledged, the better (including suggestions for
>speakers) , but if it's just the shadow of a whisper of an
>evanescent thought, someone else might be able to take it and
>run with it.

>The San Antonio Program Co-Chairs published a list of
>suggestions on Feb. 29 on ARLIS-L.  Among the topics:
>"Copyright Issues in the Visual Arts", "New Definitions of Art
>Librarianship and Visual Curatorship in the Electronic Age",
>"Global Networking,"  "The Web."

As you can see - the trend of thought among ARLIS conference
program planners is about themes which we VRD people feel very
at home with and areas in which we have a lot of experience and
many contacts. I may even say we are experts in the arena which
seems to be of current interest to all art librarians, so let's
use that expertise to propose a slate of sessions for 1997 in
Texas that expands our own knowledge and enlightens those who
are new to this.  Please bear in mind that the deadline to apply
for funding for speakers and equipment is May 31. I'm also in
the market for suggestions for joint ARLIS/NA-VRA sessions!

Linda Bien    [log in to unmask]    Phone: (514) 848-4690
Concordia University
Faculty of Fine Arts
Slide Library, VA433
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West
Montreal, QC, Canada   H3G 1M8

Faculty of Fine Arts FAX: (514) 848-8627 (Please address to my
name)