Hello All,

I would be interested in learning how other libraries handle large donations of books. In our library, we have historically held donations that may be over $5,000, library staff estimate this, for two years after transfer through a deed of gift. I believe that this is so the collection will be intact in case the donor requires an appraisal if they decide to deduct their donation.

This practice is increasingly difficult for us because of space and because we are developing a large backlog of materials needing to be cataloged.

I plan to coordinate internally on this, but would appreciate having a better understanding of other library’s procedures to help in those conversations.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Best Regards,

Amelia

Amelia Nelson