The Contemporary Artists Books Conference (CABC) planning committee invites paper and panel proposals for our 2024 conference, which will focus on “Artists' Books as Expanded Literacy.” The CABC planning committee asks: How can the artists’ book expand upon ideas of information and visual literacy, conceptions of language, data visualization, methods of presenting research, and beyond?

We invite proposals that explore what expanded literacy means through the lense of artists' books including but not limited to:

Asemic writing and illegibility
Literary works re-imagined/re-editioned as artists’ books
Neurodivergent literacy
Artistic research for the creation of artists’ books: methods and processes
Translation and migration: artists’ books as a path to expanded cultural literacy
Material/Tactile Literacy
Other facets of artists’ books and expanded literacy.

Our plan is for the conference to reflect the interdisciplinary nature of artists’ books; thus, we welcome submissions from art historians, artists, designers, critics, curators, librarians, collectors, educators, and practitioners in other fields. Graduate students and early-career artists and scholars are encouraged to apply. The conference will take place virtually on May 9th and 10th. We anticipate that sessions will be conducted virtually over Zoom.

Proposals are due April 5, 2024 before midnight ET.

SUBMIT A PROPOSAL
MORE INFO

All speakers will receive an honorarium for participating.
--
Gillian Lee
Librarian