Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues,

I'm a solo librarian at my organization. With a collection of over 40,000 holdings, the physical space of the library includes a reading room, my office, and closed stacks.

The reading room is open to the public 40hrs/week. I feel challenged for time to manage meetings, cataloging, shelving... I've tried to patch in volunteers, docents, and visitor engagement staff, to be present in the reading room but have found not enough consistency or support given the limitations of their respective roles. With no budget for part-time staff, I'm considering partitioning my office and stacks from the reading room. During public hours, the reading room could be left unattended - that is, with two cameras and a security staff that makes regular rounds in the library and gallery spaces outside the library. Please advise.

Not sure if this note is too long or short in detail but I'd love to get some support, context, or a precedent, for this initiative.

With many thanks in advance,
Vera

J. Vera Lee, MLIS, PhD
(she/her)