Greetings, ARLIS/NA!

Earlier this fall, the 2024 conference planning committee gathered in Pittsburgh. From the hotel to the food to the museums, there’s so much to look forward to—whether this is your first visit to the City of Bridges or one of many returns. Read on to hear firsthand from members and get a taste of what’s to come during the conference!

A view of the August Wilson African American Cultural Center's permanent exhibit "The Writer's Landscape." Pictured is a replica of a coffee shop, inspired by the historic Eddie's in the Hill District of Pittsburgh. Pictured are four tall padded stools line a dark wood bartop, and a deep gold and cream padded booth and formica table.
“The Writer’s Landscape” permanent exhibit at the August Wilson Center. Photo credit: Karyn Hinkle

A visitor to the August Wilson Museum stands in front of tall, narrow windows overlooking Pittsburgh

A view of Pittsburgh from the August Wilson center. Photo credit: Karyn Hinkle

August Wilson African American Cultural Center (Welcome Reception)

In addition to preserving and celebrating the work and community of Pittsburgh playwright August Wilson, the Center itself is truly stunning. I knew this was “the venue” when we entered the upstairs event space and took in the view through the floor-to-ceiling windows–they frame the architecture and energy of Pittsburgh almost as if they were curtains opening up to the set of one of Wilson’s plays. - Michele Jennings

A view of the Children's Museum in Pittsburgh with one librarian sitting in the center in a chair shaped like a spinning top, flashing the camera a peace sign. The room has an intricate tiled ceiling, and exposed brick walls.

The Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh. Photo credit: Rachel Resnik

Four smiling figures are reflected on screen, surrounded by letters that wrap and shift around their silhouettes.

At the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh. Photo credit: Rachel Resnik

Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh (Convocation Reception)

The Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh is a marvel! The first floor itself offers so many nooks, crannies, activities, and art to explore, but having taken my kids to it after the site visit, I can attest that the water floor and nursery are wonderful too. So much thought has been put into this museum, with a rotation of artist designed activity displays, as well as self-directed and guided art projects going on in the studio space. Right next door is MuseumLab, which is a gorgeous addendum to The Children’s Museum focused on older kids. A smaller footprint, MuseumLab is housed in the former Carnegie Free Library of Allegheny, so perfect for visiting librarians to explore! - Courtney Hunt

A group of four librarians gather around a vitrine at the Andy Warhol Museum, guided by a museum staffer

A tour of the Andy Warhol Museum. Photo credit: Rachel Resnik

Andy Warhol Museum

Pittsburgh is so rich in arts and cultural organizations that I will likely visit an entirely new group when I return for the conference in April! However, one place I know I will return for a second visit is the Andy Warhol Museum. The CPAC toured the galleries with the museum’s new chief curator this fall, seeing showstoppers and learning backstories, and I’m very excited to visit again to look slowly at more works in this huge space. - Karyn Hinkle

A view of the Omni William Penn hotel at night.

The Omni William Penn Hotel. Photo credit: Melanie Emerson

A detail of the light fixtures and ceiling at the Omni William Penn Hotel.

Detail of the Omni William Penn Hotel. Photo credit: Karyn Hinkle

Omni William Penn Hotel (Conference Hotel)
The Omni William Penn was a fantastic homebase for my first trip to Pittsburgh. I appreciated that it was so conveniently located--the Warhol Museum and a wide array of restaurants are within a short walk. The hotel itself has a lot of wow factor. From the Terrace Room restaurant off of the lobby all the way up to the 17th floor Grand Ballroom; there are blingy details throughout that will serve as a great backdrop for our conference. - Rachel Resnik

Food Spotlight

Bring your appetites! Pittsburgh is garnering ever more awards and recognition for its food including a 2019 honor by the BBC Good Food as one of the top-10 destinations for foodies. The city offers local favorites like pierogies, Primanti’s sandwiches and the Pittsburgh salad (which is topped with French fries) as well as specialty restaurants like Apteka which serves Central and Eastern European entirely vegan cuisine and DiAnoia’s Eatery which serves homemade pastas. The conference is also walking distance to the Strip District which is filled with produce stands, ethnic grocers, and meat and fish markets along with restaurants and bakeries. - Lynn Kawaratani

Keep an eye out in the coming weeks for more on Pittsburgh tours, receptions, and registration!

Rachel Resnik
ARLIS/NA President
Massachusetts College of Art and Design
621 Huntington Avenue