Hi ARLIS SoCal,

I’m reaching out to see if anyone has suggestions on where an archival researcher (based in Toronto, Canada), might be able to find still images of La Jolla (maybe 60s/70s-ish but before or after is fine) either of the beaches or neighborhoods that would be public domain or affordable to license? They are also open to moving image as well.

Context: They are researching for an independent documentary film being made about Johanne Harrelle (Canadian actress, model, and writer, and the first black woman to rise to prominence in Quebec and Canada's fashion world). Johanne and her then husband Edgar Morin lived in La Jolla for a few years in the late 60s/early 70s.

Consulted so far: The researcher has been touch with the La Jolla Historical Society (nothing is digitized yet and she is researching remotely) and the San Diego History Center charges $400 USD per image which is out of their budget. I’ve suggested trying a few searches on Calisphere to see where that might lead them, and the San Diego Public Library has a few photos digitized like this one, so they could consult them as well. But if anyone has leads or knows of digitized collections of La Jolla, please share. We’d be so grateful!

Thank you,
Jenna

Jenna Dufour (She/Her)

Research Librarian for Visual Arts